Monday, August 25, 2014

Tarragon Chicken Salad Sandwich

It's been an eventful few weeks, settling into beautiful Bellingham.

Riding along the waterfront on the South Bay Trail

Flights and foodies at Bellingham's newest favorite brewery, Aslan.

Stop, drop, and asana. Dhanurasana on a wheel.


I've also had a lot of quality time in the kitchen. Getting strategic with my budget means meal planning. I have some wonderful friends who have been at this whole meal planning thing for some time, that like to impart their knowledge. My mother likes to impart her knowledge of how to stretch a budget. So between the two, I'm making leaps and bounds both with my creativity in the kitchen and in managing my check book.


This recipe was born after having leftover roasted chicken. I had cooked up some polenta, with sauteed mushrooms, I topped with a fried egg and wedge of cream brie.

The next day, I channeled my mom (I can picture her in the kitchen tearing into the remains of a roasted chicken now!) and got down and dirty, tearing all of the meat away, to make this delicious Tarragon Chicken Salad.


Much like, a traditional chicken salad, but with a twist, and cleaned up a little bit. I used a creamy full fat Greek yogurt in place of mayonnaise. Fennel takes the place of celery for a crunch, and tarragon for a uniquely fresh taste. I served the sandwiches on toasted Breadfarm bread, with gouda cheese and thinly sliced green apple.

I stuffed this chicken salad into romaine lettuce leaves the next day for lunch. Three meals knocked out of the park this week! BOOM!



I hope you enjoy this alternative salad as much as I did! I love a good new school take on an old school classic. Happy summer days, friends. Soak up this sunshine!

Tarragon Chicken Salad Sandwiches serves 4

fennel, green apple, gouda

  •  2 cups chopped cooked chicken
  • 1/3 cup fennel bulb, finely diced
  • 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
  • 2 Tbsp minced fresh tarragon
  • 2/3 cup full-fat Greek yogurt (I use Greek Gods brand, as it has a rich creamy taste, not sour) 
  • zest and juice of 1/2 lemon (1-2 Tbsp)
  • 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard 
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 8 slices good whole grain bread
  • 1 green apple, thinly sliced
  • 4 oz gouda cheese, thinly sliced
  • butter or olive oil for toasting bread

 Method

Heat a pan over medium-high heat.

Combine chicken, fennel, red onion, tarragon, Greek yogurt, and mustard in a large bowl. Gently stir to combine fully. Add salt and pepper to taste. Careful not to over-salt, as the taste will improve after the salad has time to rest in the fridge. The cheese also adds saltiness.

Melt a small pat of butter, or drizzle of olive oil into the pan and wirl to fully coat. Place bread in the pan, work in batches, and toast on one side for 1-2 minutes until browned. Flip, and add sliced gouda to one side. While the other side toasts, let gouda melt. 

Remove bread from pan, spoon chicken salad onto the slice of toast without cheese.

 Arrange sliced of green apple over cheese, sandwich both sides together and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment