Wednesday, August 20, 2014

4 Things I've Learned From Injury

Taken in Fuerteventura, Canary Islands 2013, coming back from injury with the help of some astounding healers at Azul Fit.

An injury is a bummer. It stunts your growth, stifles your shine, and holds you back from the activities that you love.

After doing a little too much too fast, I now find myself flat on my back-- literally, with a back injury.

The worst part? I've been here before.

The first time this happened, I was working in Spain. Similarly sparked by an unknown activities, giving me no further knowledge of how to prevent it. At the time, I sought the help of some amazing healers through massage, cupping, reiki, therapeutic Pilates and yoga. No one could pin down exactly what I had done to injure myself. I was out of commission for weeks.

Fast forward.

Over the past year, I've had minor flare-ups with my lower back, stemming from a known imbalance in my SI joint. Usually I'm able to swing by the chiropractor, get adjusted and be on my way. On to the next. BUT this time, not so much. It's been three weeks. Three weeks of laying down, resting more than I would like, paying quite a few visits to my chiropractor, and getting acupuncture treatments.

This much time on my back? Let me tell you about what I'm learning.

1. This too shall pass
Like all things, this injury will pass. You can go to your PT, massage therapist, chiropractor, doctor, etc., all you want, and healing will still take time. This is rough. The Type A, result-driven side of me hates this. And this is my learning. Patience and trust. Do all that you can, then rest and release the force for results.

2. Listen to your body
I can't tell you how many times I say this to students and to myself. And yet, it's the nature of the ego to creep in and throw a wrench in the whole works. I was coming back into training full time after a four month project, and my mind had a different idea than my body of what I could do. Guess who I listened to. And guess who got a big slap an reality check from the universe. The body's sensations are direct feedback to a much higher intelligence than the mind-over-matter training mentality that plagues so many of us. Tune into these cues to save yourself.

3. Take this as an opportunity to learn something new
I've taken this time to study anatomy and empower my yoga practice. I've been taking therapeutic classes via YogaGlo and am learning so much about the musculature of the lower body, that which supports the spine. Information that I can now bring to my classes and share on a larger scale. Our setbacks are our greatest teachers. Did you get that? Our setbacks are our greatest teachers. Apply this to any situation in your life and you'll come out on top.  

4. Change your perspective of success
On the same island of listening to your body, changing your perspective of what success, or strength, or beauty looks like will change the way you relate to your body and to your training. I have no problem taking Balasana in the middle of a power class, yet when it comes to going down in weight for a set of squats, I dig my heels in and say power through. Funny right? Not the best advice I would give. Success in my fitness, ultimately, is the ability to move through life pain-free. That's why I move my body. So I can keep moving until the day I pass. Get clear with your own goals, and what gets you moving. If the reason is not healthy for your mind and body, then your training will not manifest anything healthy.

1 comment:

  1. The first thing on the list is the most important one to remember. We've had advances in medical technology, but there is no substitute for letting your body rest and heal itself. I've seen athletes who insisted on playing when they were not yet completely healed, often ending with disastrous results, so allowing an injury to heal is the best recourse. Either way, getting the best treatment can also help with a speedy recovery, so do check with your doctor regularly. Take care!

    Derek Sparks @ Forgey Chiropractic

    ReplyDelete