Tuesday, December 30, 2014

2015: The Year for More Vegetables (And Why I'm Not Cutting Out Anything)


2015 is going to be the year for more veg. That's right, more vegetables. None of my resolutions this year involve 'eating clean', 'doing a 21 day challenge', 'cutting out sugar/fat/gluten/dairy/etc.'. No, this year I'm focusing on what I'm adding, not what I'm taking away.

In the past, I've focused on the 80/20 rule (80% for whole grains, fruits, vegetables, etc., 20% for ice cream, ketchup, hash browns and wine). I've also done sugar detoxes, extreme clean eating, and whatever else sparked my interest. I still love my 80/20, but it's time for me to shift my focus. Instead of thinking that I'm using up valuable space in my 20% with my glass of wine, I will instead be thinking something along the lines of, 'alright, more kale in the next meal'. See, life's all about that balance. And if I can't enjoy some red without feeling guilt, then I'm not truly balanced.

I'm a huge proponent of focusing on what you're building rather than what you're trying to get away from. For instance, there's more power behind a goal of losing 10lbs when it's coming from I feel energized when I run, and I want to keep up with my kids than if it comes from I hate my body, I can't stand to look in the mirror without cringing. Love will get you a helluva lot further than fear and anger.

So that's where this intention comes from; love. This is going to be a year of radical self love, by giving my body what it needs to operate optimally, and indulging in the experiences that bring me great joy. Because I love my Sunday brunch, crispy hash with ketchup, please!


2 comments: