Sunday, April 20, 2014

Spring Cleaning Breakthroughs + Chickpeas

I don't know about you, but when April rolls around, I start to get inspired by the longer days, the breakthroughs of sunshine, and the spirit of spring cleaning. Out with the old, in with what matters.

I just spent a weekend in Seattle at the Baptiste Art of Assisting program. A phenomenal training on hands-on assisting yoga postures, and the second of three courses that I need for my Baptiste Certification. The weekend was about integrity in alignment. Integrity in our yoga practice, in our assisting, and in our lives. What I love about about Baptiste yoga, is the boldly obvious correlation between how we show up on our mats and in our lives. One thing that showed up for me in assisting this weekend was me holding back because I was afraid that I didn't have something to offer that person. What I really got present to, is that, first off, I DO bring value to the table- in all arenas of my life, and that I'm doing my community a disservice my not sharing that. I also really got that my growth happens when I dive in regardless of how comfortable I feel. There's this saying that Baron has,
The question is not, 'will I survive if I step out of my comfort zone?', it's 'will I survive my comfort zone?'
Every time I've been nervous to do something, and did it anyway, I've experienced a breakthrough. A breakthrough in my confidence, in speaking my truth, in my full self expression, in my relationships. The list goes on.

Spring cleaning is about much more than the dark corners of our homes, it's about the dark corners of our lives! What have you been putting off? What's piling up without attention? Where do you want to experience new freedom? What do you need to clean up- are there conversations you need to have?

The turning in the seasons is a great time to check in with yourself. Are you where you want to be? If not, what's lacking? Usually there is a lack of integrity somewhere. For me, lately, there's been a lack of integrity in my own self care. In taking the time to cook healthy meals. I've been using "busy" as an excuse to grab food at the Co Op for a quick fix. What I really needed to address though, is that I'm not taking the time to care for myself in one of the most basic ways- nourishment. I want to share with you today, a recipe that I'm coming back to for a quick, easily packable, nourishing meal. I present to you, Chickpeas & Greens!


This recipe was adapted from Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Every Day. And what a gem this recipe is. I like to soak chickpeas on the weekend, then cook them the next day so I have a fresh batch for various salads of recipes throughout the week. This recipe requires cooked chickpeas, I recommend soaking your own- in such a simple recipe, the quality of ingredients really takes precedence- but canned also work.


Chickpeas & Greens serves 4

lemon zest, red chili flakes, olive oil

  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/8-1/4 tsp dried red chili flakes
  • 3 large handfuls spinach, kale, chard, or another green of your choice
  •  2 cups cooked chickpeas
  • zest of 1 lemon
  • sea salt and pepper to taste

Method

Combine olive oil, garlic, and chili in a cold frying pan. Turn the heat up to medium and let the garlic and chili begin to sizzle and infuse the olive oil. Saute until just golden, careful not to burn the garlic.

Add greens, saute and turn until slightly reduced, and bright green. Remove the pan from heat, add chickpeas and lemon zest. Stir to combine. Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.


This salad keeps great in the fridge for a couple days. I love to serve in over quinoa, or stuffed into an Ezekial tortilla for a tasty wrap.


enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment