Thursday, June 13, 2013

My Favorite Green Smoothie

It seems that within the past couple years the green smoothie has absolutely taken over. Any opportunity to get our greens before dawn, eh? Here's my own addition to the madness. Frozen banana, spinach, kale, coconut water, peaches, and lime juice. Boom!


I know many people who start their day with a smoothie. After all, they're easily digested, nutrient dense, made in moments, portable (did I miss anything?). Personally, I almost always opt for something more substantial in the mornings, oatmeal, vegetable hash with eggs, something of that nature. I usually wake up starving, so that feels more satisfying to me. But on the mornings where I jump right into a yoga practice or training at the studio, I definitely require some food in my belly to get me through.

In comes smoothies! 


 

Great pre-workout fuel

The above benefits will help you before a training session too. All of the ingredients packed into this smoothie, are quickly absorbed into your system so you’re not still digesting uncomfortably when you hit the track. Coconut water (find one that is non-heat pasteurized so you get all of the beneficial nutrients) is a natural isotonic, helping you maintain a healthy balance of electrolytes. Coconut water teaming up with banana, other than tasting ah-mazing, is like a powerhouse of potassium, which is great for preventing muscle cramps.



I’m one of those people that takes any opportunity they can to stuff more veggies into my day. Crushed it here-- we have not one, but TWO different greens to power you through. Spinach and kale come together to give you a full serving of leafy greens before the day even begins. Peaches add a frosty texture and sweeter palate, and fresh lime juice keeps things zesty.



An under-fueled body can put a serious damper on not only your training, but any daily activities. The importance of keeping your blood sugar stable, and the body well equipped to do anything from running hills to running errands is something that can not be stressed enough.

 

My Favorite Green Smoothie (2 servings)

  • 1 cup coconut water
  • juice of 1 lime
  • 1 cup kale, torn
  • 1 cup spinach
  • 1 cup frozen peach slices
  • 1 frozen banana

Method

Blend coconut water, lime juice, kale and spinach on a high setting to liquify. Add frozen peaches and banana, blend to fully incorporate.


What are some of your favorite smoothie combinations? Do you find that they help you stay energized throughout the day?

I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. How are all the pictures on your blog so dang amazing?! :)

    -Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so common to read about how healthy smoothies are. But it's rare to find a blog that states why it is so, and even include the specific type of vitamins and nutrients we get from them and how they help our daily activities. I like what you did here. Surely, this is a filling blog post. Both on the tummy and in the mind. Thank you!
    Chad @ Fresh & Healthy Brands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chad, thank you! Great nutrition is something that's very close to my heart after years of struggling with my own weight. I believe in moderation of all things, and as long as our foods are whole and natural,we will taste the difference. Thanks for stopping by!
      Stella

      Delete