Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Play Big

Is there something in this moment that you are waiting to take action with? If so, why? What holds you back? Are you doing a really great job at rationalizing your actions or lack thereof? I think what we'll often find is that our inaction boils down to a fear.

For some time now, I've been looking into further yoga teacher training. I was seriously considering a 200-hr Teacher Training at a gorgeous studio in Seattle. I would commute to Seattle one weekend out of every month for four months. The studio I was interested in, Be Luminous, has cutting edge temperature controlled rooms for an optimal practice, a library of books from philosophy to anatomy, snacks, tea and coconut water (the quickest door to my heart) and most importantly, phenomenal instructors. Their classes are varied in content and style but grounded in Baptiste methodology (a style of Power Vinyasa yoga created by Baron Baptiste, read more in this interview!).

There's a certain energy in a Baptiste class. The language is transformational, it guides you to a powerful state of being based in possibility and strength. The flow is dynamic, athletic in nature. The practice challenges the body fully, guiding you through a transformation both physically and mentally that I can only describe as coming in touch with your highest self.

Baron Baptiste at Yoga Journal Conference San Francisco, CA 2012

Working at lululemon athletica, an idea was sparked, a BHAG- that's Big Hairy Audacious Goal for those of you who are unfamiliar with the lingo. The BHAG I set was to train with the big guy himself, Baron. And not just to get my 200-hr RYT certification, but to become a Certified Baptiste Teacher. This is a big deal. The journey includes three things:
  • Baptiste Level One Training
  • Baptiste Level Two Training
  • Art of Assisting Program
The soonest Level One Training I can attend is in June of 2012. Now, I've been waiting for two months for the application become available online; this week it FINALLY did. It is set up to be completed in a single sitting, nothing gets saved if you do not submit the application in one sitting. I got through the entire application, all the way up to the application fee and submittal then I froze. Between travel costs, training costs, and commitment issues, I found myself second guessing the decision. I decided to 'wait on it'. I rationalized, saying to myself, 'this is a lot of money', 'are you sure this is the way to go for training?', 'you need to save enough money to get home from the Canaries'. Blah, blah, blah. Noise.

Truth is, I have been saving for teacher training, I will have enough money to get home, and this IS the way to go because this is what inspires me and lights me up. I was just scared. Scared of not being good enough, scared of playing big and coming up short. And that fear isn't a bad thing. That's the feeling of reaching out of our comfort zone, and into our stretch zone. The fact that we can imagine it though, makes it a possibility.

San Diego 2012

It's so easy to get caught up in a comfortable pattern of being, and when the idea of new action comes up, whether it's in a relationship, job position, family dynamic, your health- whatever, and we end up getting stuck. We can also get caught up in knowing we want something to change but we don't know how. What's the magic first step that will catapult us to success?!

Try this on- any action you take right now will be better than no action. The first action you take might be successful. You might have to take further action in the future as things adjust. Whatever step you take right now will leave you in a better place than if you chose to sit and think on it some more. That's liberating news. As Goethe said,
 "Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!"

On a side note, on Monday, I submitted my application into the Baptiste Level One Training this June. A single step toward a much larger journey.

3 comments:

  1. Stella,

    You are an inspriation! I cannot wait to learn more from you when you return. I am actually starting to consider my options and finding out what really inspries me. Thank you for insight. Keep blogging and I'll keep reading!

    -Kristy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristy, thank you so much.
      I think you are truly inspiring. Your strength and commitment on your journey of health and happiness really resonates with me. I would love to hear more about what inspires you. Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  2. Good for you! I'm so happy to find your inspirational story and writing! I have loved yoga for many years, and have always dreamed of an adventure like yours, Stella. I'm excited to follow your story over these next weeks and months!

    ReplyDelete