Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Dark Chocolate Courgette Muffins


This is a recipe that I've been hanging onto for quite some time. Why I haven't shared it yet? I don't know. This was a recipe that I created last year while working in Fuerteventura. We went through a few batches of muffins before landing on a perfectly moist, lightly sweet, rich muffin, studded with dark chocolate chunks! 

does it get better?!


YES! Actually it does! These babies are also gluten-free (made with buckwheat flour), refined sugar-free (sweetened with dates), and packed with shredded courgette. That, my friends, makes for a powerhouse combo!
 

Once we perfected the recipe, we made these muffins for our staff at the retreat, for team meetings, for guests as they departed, and simply for celebration of life! I propose you make these for your best friends, your sweetie, and the other people you love in celebration of Valentines Day this Friday! I truly believe great food is the ultimate way to say I love you. 


 So show the people in your life some love this weekend. Take some time to sit down, connect, and share yourself with them. Make time and being in relationship with others a top priority. I know how much I value the pillars of support in my life. Where I would be without them to keep me accountable and honest with myself. To keep my inspired and striving to reach even higher for my goals. They keep me accountable to have the right conversations, even when it's hard. I love these people dearly, and I make a point of telling them. You can never be told too many times how much you're valued. 

Dark Chocolate Courgette Muffins makes 8

dark chocolate chunks, roasted hazelnuts, coconut oil

  • 2/3 cup buckwheat flou
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 cup date puree
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
  • 2 Tbsp coconut oil
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1.5 cups courgette (zucchini), grated, pressed dry of excess liquid
  • 85 g dark chocolate from your favorite bar, chopped roughly
  • 1/4 cup dry roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped (optional)+4 Tbsp finely chopped for garnish

Method

Preheat oven to 375 F/180 C. Lightly grease or line muffin tins and set aside.

Sift dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, then stir in date puree, apple sauce, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. 

Grate your courgette, some moisture is absolutely fine, however if it's quite saturated, pat dry with a few paper towels. Roughly chop your dark chocolate, not too finely, the best part is a biting into a pocket of gooey chocolate, and you'll miss out on this if your chocolate is chopped too small. Fold in grated courgette, dark chocolate chunks, and hazelnuts if using.

Pour into greased/lined muffin tins, filling about three quarters of the way full. Back for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes.



eat well, friends!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment