Friday, July 26, 2013

Parsley Pesto Pasta & Pan Seared Prawns.

I love summer for all of the seasonal bounty. The problem I've been running into lately is figuring out what to make. It's funny, within the past month or so I've seem to have become so picky with my eating. I've been eating a little bit of everything, going out with friends to eat, ordering takeout, and making quick 10-minute meals, but it's been hard to get me excited about a new recipe. My closest friends will tell you this is ridiculously unusual. I usually have stacks of recipes to try written down in my journal or bookmarked on Foodgawker. What gives?!


One food that's very near and dear to my heart is pesto. It's one of those things that reminds me of my childhood. It's so easy to toss into a bowl of pasta, as a spread for a sandwich, toss with roasted vegetables-- anything. Anything that you put pesto on turns to gold. That's truth.


I came across a recipe for parsley pesto in a recent copy Bon Appétit magazine. Actually it was the cover recipe. I saw pesto and snatched that magazine up real quick! A little exploring through many recipes lead me to find, perhaps, my new favorite magazine, and some serious inspiration for weeks to come.

I adapted this recipe (because that's what we all do, right?), but it didn't take much to fit my personal taste-- rich, not too oily, satisfyingly savory.


In went fresh parsley, chives, dry roasted almonds, raw organic parmesan cheese, good quality olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. The results are amazing. Fresh tasting, toasty and lightened up with the use of almonds over pine nuts. Parsley on it's own can be a bit overbearingly bitter, chives help to round out the flavor. Salt also cuts bitterness, add to taste.


What better to showcase pesto than a bright bowl of pesto pasta? And for a little protein to make it stick with you longer, pan seared prawns! Simple, satisfying, divine!



Parsley Pesto Pasta & Pan Seared Prawns serves 4

raw parmesan, almonds, chives, brown rice pasta, prawns

  • 8 oz brown rice spaghetti pasta
  • 1 bunch flat leaf parsley (2 cups packed leaves)
  • 1/2 cup unpacked fresh chives
  • 1/4 cup dry roasted almonds
  • 1/3 cup finely grated raw parmesan cheese
  • 1/3-1/2 cup olive oil + more for cooking
  • fresh ground sea salt and black pepper to taste
  • 1 lb prawns, rinsed, deveined  

Method

Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil, add pasta. Stir occassionally, cooking until al dente. Drain and set aside, keeping warm.

Meanwhile, pulse almonds in a food processor a few times until crumbly. Add parsley, chives, parmesan, and 1/3 cup olive oil. Process until smooth, adding more olive oil as needed. Season with salt and pepper. 

Heat a heavy bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, season with olive oil. Sear shrimp for 2-3 minutes each side, until pink.

Add 1/2 cup pesto to pasta, toss to coat. Add more to taste, and save any leftover for future recipes (hint, hint)! Divide onto four plates.



  

Serve with drinks and great company!
Eat well, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment