Monday, April 1, 2013

How I Got Here; Azul Fit

“A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step”
-Lao Tzu
Padangushthasana, taken in the volcanic fields in Villaverde, Fuerteventura

Early in 2011, into my sophomore year of college, I was elbow deep in work I had no hunger for, following the traditional track toward university and career; soon I would defer my acceptance to university, sell my car, quit my job, and buy a one way ticket to the Canary Island of Fuerteventura.

I found Azul Fit when I was at a crossroads in my life; I was studying nutrition and had goals to transfer to Bastyr University, a holistic natural health arts and sciences college in Kenmore, Washington. I was pretty sure I was on the right track, but not sure enough to take out loans for private school tuition. What I did know was that I needed to leave my small town for a while, I had a hunger to learn more than I could in a classroom. The way that seemed most feasible for me to travel was to work abroad. I looked into numerous websites and programs such as WWOOFing, Workaway, and talked to friends who had traveled. I came to understand that it wouldn't be nearly as hard as I thought, I just had to look for opportunities and not be afraid to ask for what I needed.

I was reading the annual directory in Yoga Journal Magazine, which lists retreats, teacher trainings, and workshops globally. In a 1”x2” advertisement, Azul Fit highlighted themselves as a yoga and Pilates retreat in sunny Fuerteventura with dedication to nutrition and wellbeing. I circled the ad, and sent the owners, Jamie and Karissa, an e-mail explaining how I'd heard about the retreat, my studies in nutrition, my recent yoga teacher training certification, and my own dedication to wellbeing, and asked if they would be interested in a work exchange.

Months passed, I continued with my studies, my job at a local cafe, then one day in April, out of the blue, I got an e-mail back from Karissa. She asked me to send my resume, and we set up a Skype date to speak a little more. Within three months I had sold my car to pay for my ticket, deferred all plans for school, and left my job. I was on a plane, leaving my home, close to Seattle, Washington, crossing the Atlantic Ocean for an unknown adventure.

The view as we approached Fuerteventura

 Driving through a stretch of underdeveloped land en route from the airport I was filled with curiosity but could manage to do little more than gape at the landscape outside my window. Having never left the United States on my own, much less eight time zones away from the west coast, I had never seen anything quite like Fuerte. Culturally Europe, but geographically Africa, a rocky wind-swept terrain stretched for miles. The roads were small, lined with stone barriers. Everything seemed sun-bleached and life seemed to move at a slower pace as if completely disconnected from the rest of the world.

In Villaverde, moments from Villa Azul

Admittedly, I had no idea what to expect when I left Washington for Fuerteventura, but I truly think I got the best possible outcome. Everyone I worked with was incredibly nice, Jamie and Karissa were always so accommodating, checking in on me to make sure I had everything I needed, they took me out to see the island, and even booked me in a surf lesson with their friends who run a surf school on the island, 7 Island Surf, because when you're on this island, you can't not try surfing.

I was basically living at a yoga retreat for five weeks. I did light work throughout the day, helping with brunch, cleaning around the Villa, occasionally helping Sonny in the garden, assisting Jo in the kitchen so she would feed me her spectacular meals, modeling some of the Azul Fit swag (tanks, shorts, sarongs, pants) and teaching a few yoga classes each week. In my free time, I would read, study asana, take yoga and pilates classes, and work on my tan by the pool with the guests. I got to meet so many fascinating people from all over Western Europe.

Vinyasa flow at Azul Fit, October 2011

Out to dinner with one of my favorite groups of ladies, October 2011

My modeling skills put to good use

Fresh caught fish from Lobos Island for one of Sonny's famous BBQs, September 2011

If you could even call this work.. In the backyard of Villa Azul, 2011

Morning yoga in the dunes with Emma, 2011

Working with Jo in the kitchen, October 2011

My favorite work was always in the kitchen. I would make lunch and smoothies for guests, and help Jo come dinner time. She taught me to use the benefits of whole foods to enhance flavors and nutrition of dishes, always working with fresh herbs, fresh ground spices, using dates to bind and sweeten desserts, never refined sugars. 

It has been through my work in the kitchen, both at Azul and home in Washington, that I've come to realize I don't want to seek a career in Dietetics, I love food too much to break it down into it's nutrients and scientific "benefits". Fresh, whole food ingredients, prepared with intention are the ultimate medicine. And as much as I want to share that with people, I would rather share it over the dinner table than in the consultation office of a clinic.

.   .   .   .   .   .   .
 
A year and a half later, as I write this, I’m sitting on my patio, just down the road from Villa Azul. I’m back again, this time in a concentrated kitchen position. The role of the kitchen has expanded incredibly and it’s so exciting to see. We’re now preparing brunches all from scratch, making granola, muesli, yogurt, breads, ghee, fresh fruit salads, gluten-free pancakes, and much more. We are in constant rotation making nightly meals and prepping for the week ahead. I share the kitchen with Jo and my great new friend, Manuel, who teaches Ashtanga yoga and makes a mean vegan paella. Between Jo’s new cookbook, Truly Healthy, Truly Delicious, nutrition workshops, and recent catering events, we’re cooking up big things in the kitchen at Azul Fit.

And while my stay this year is coming to a close, I look forward to coming back again. The relationships I’ve formed at the retreat are those that will last a lifetime. I’ve found a wealth of resources and knowledge. I hold Azul Fit in my mind as a reminder that anything in this life can happen, we just have to take the first step.




2 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I love this blog post! Im happy I came across it because am looking at going to Azul fit next week, it looks like a wonderful place! I am having a hard time making up my mind about which location to stay in: Villa Azul or The Lotus Lodge. Any suggestions to help make my decision easier?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nanette!
      So great to hear you're looking into visiting Azul! As far as which location, it really depends what you're looking for in a holiday. Lotus Lodge is in town, close to the beach, it's smaller and the environment is busier. Villa Azul is out in the hills, more secluded, quiet, and the lodge itself is larger. From the Villa, you can of course take a bus into town to the beach, and there is likely the option of an excursion built into the week. Let me know if you have any other questions:)

      Delete