Thursday, March 21, 2013

Welcome Spring! +Quinoa Tabbouleh

Spring has officially sprung. Days are getting longer, the air is fresh and balmy, there's a universal optimism as things warm up in preparation for summer.


I've been thinking about renting a bike on this island for some time now. My back is feeling so much better, and I'm in search of a low impact form of exercise, as well as a new way to explore this gorgeous place. I was telling Jo of my plans and she offered to lend me her bike for some time, and even gave me some ideas for trails to ride. So this morning it was just me and mi bici loose on the island. Watch out Fuerte!

Mi bici, in front of Villa Azul

 I rode up to the corner of our village, Villaverde, toward Montaña La Arena, one of the many volcanoes in our area (also the volcano that my street is named after). It was a gorgeous ride through Villaverde, the land gets less concentrated with houses, more concentrated with farm land, goats, and la molinos, or wind mills.

La molinos on the left and right


Montaña La Arena




I had an idea for where I was going, but not a clear one. Villaverde is small, I figured worst case scenario I get a lost and hitch a ride back to the Villa with a studly surfer.

Unfortunately luckily it didn't come to that. I made my way up the volcano, stopping at a little outpost, pictured below, to take in the view and read in the sun. While there, I ran into a lovely Belgium couple who asked me to give my regards to President Obama!




Looking toward the northwest shore, you can see the village of Lajares.

Looking toward the north shore. You can see little Lobos Island, and further in the distance Lanzarote.

I worked my way down the volcano-- what I trip that was, first time I've seriously been mountain biking. Hands on the brakes most of the way, letting go every once in a while, wind streaming through my hair, gliding along the trail, I made my way through the malpaís, or backcountry, through developing neighborhoods in the northwest corner of Villaverde, and eventually back home.

Serious biking down this mountain.

Houses being built in the village
 All I could think about as I got close to the house was the quinoa tabbouleh that was waiting for me in the fridge. 


Yesss. Even better the next day after the flavors have some time to mingle, this dish is the epitome of fresh.

Tabbouleh, reigning from the Middle East, traditionally made with bulgur, ample amounts of fresh parsley, mint, lemon juice, and olive oil, tossed with juicy tomato and cucumber. While I love bulgur, I wanted a lighter option that packed a little more protein. Containing all essential amino acids, quinoa is considered to be a complete protein, and is often touted as a super food for it's high nutrient density per ounce. It is also a great source of calcium, magnesium, and iron-- nutrients that those of us who don't often consume red meat can become deficient in.


This tabbouleh is crazy simple to make, lasts for a few days in the fridge so you can make a batch, and pack it for lunches throughout the week, have a middle eastern dinner party and serve it alongside falafel, flatbread, hummus, babba ghanouj, dolmas, and mixed olives from your favorite antipasto bar. It also keeps well at room temperature and is great to pack along for a picnic or one of those long Spring bike rides.

What will elevate this recipe is a TON of fresh herbs; a large bunch of parsley, small bunch of mint, and green onion. Parsley really is the star of this salad rather than quinoa. In fact, if I had more parsley on hand, I would have added more. The greener this salad is, the better.


Quinoa Tabbouleh serves 4-6

  • 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
  • 1.75 cups filtered water
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 large bunch fresh parsley, about 1 cup minced and packed
  • 1 small bunch mint leaves, about 1/8 cup minced and packed
  • 3 scallions, about 4 Tbsp minced and packed
  • 2 ripe tomatoes (if you can't find ripe tomatoes, use red bell pepper)
  • 1 cucumber
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • black pepper and sea salt to taste

Method    

Combine quinoa, filtered water, and sea salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer for 10 minutes. After ten minutes, keep covered and remove from heat, let it rest for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork and allow it to cool to room temperature.

Deseed tomatoes and cucumber and chop, set aside.

Finely mince parsley, mint, and scallions, set aside. Some recipes use a food processor instead of mincing the herbs by hand, I highly advise against this. It creates more liquid in your salad, causes it to go rancid faster, and you end up with something more green soup-esque than tabbouleh.

Whisk together olive oil and lemon juice.

Into a large mixing bowl, add quinoa and fresh herbs, mix to combine. Then mix in tomato and cucumber, finally toss with olive oil+lemon juice dressing.

Season with sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper. It will taste good now, but it will taste better in a few hours after the flavors mingle, so go on a walk or a bike ride, come back and enjoy some tabbouleh!



1 comment:

  1. This looks soooo good, my kind of meal! Thanks for the recipe. Recently I did a quinoa salad recipe from http://www.cook-elite.com/2015/12/13/healthy-summer-quinoa-salad/ I highly recommend, pride :)

    ReplyDelete